We will mitigate risk by reducing the number of students per room and having fewer students share each bathroom; providing isolated housing for students who test positive; and controlling public areas within housing. See section 5, page 30 of Reopening the Campus: AY20–21 report (PDF) for space diagrams.
The following housing models will be used:
- The majority of students will live in single-occupancy rooms. RISD has expanded its housing, gaining 200 additional beds by renting a nearby apartment building for the fall semester.
- Triple and quad rooms will be provided for safe use by two students.
- A maximum of four students will share multi-person bathrooms.
- Some public lounges will be closed to discourage congregating and others will be converted to workrooms used by appointment.
- Traditional workrooms will also have assigned times for student usage.
- Student visitation will be discouraged by only allowing card access to one’s own building.
Workrooms located in residence halls will have assigned times and monitoring to prohibit congregating. To allow for more access, some public lounges will be converted to workrooms with scheduled appointment times.
This year RISD will start earlier to ensure time for a two-week quarantine period for all campus residents, with move-in dates over a four-day period, from August 30 to September 2 (See the Academic Calendar). The move-in process will promote social distancing through a reservation system and careful direction of foot traffic and use of elevators.
Students will be able to ship items and will be encouraged to ship as much as possible given we cannot utilize student helpers who normally assist with move-in. Those who are able to ship items, and provide advance notice, may have those items placed in their rooms to minimize time spent on their assigned move-in day.
Only one family member will be allowed in the building with each student and they will need to complete an informal health questionnaire and wear a mask. Further details and instruction will be provided to all students prior to move-in.
There will be a 14-day self-quarantine requirement for all students living in RISD housing upon arrival for the fall semester. Virtual orientation, academic and co-curricular engagement opportunities will be offered to students during this time to help build community and connection.
Quarantine and Isolation Housing
We will be providing specially-designated housing to those students who must isolate or quarantine according to public health guidelines. For those students who test positive and require isolation, there will be one residential area designated for this purpose with private rooms and bathrooms for each student. Students who need to quarantine because of close contact with a positive case will be able to stay in place if they are in single rooms or will be placed in special housing if they are in a shared room.