Quarantine Upon Arrival
Spring 2021 Quarantine
- To keep our community safe, on- and off-campus students are required to quarantine when they arrived on campus for 14 days, as well as take a COVID-19 test.
- Students will be required to quarantine for two weeks prior to accessing campus, from February 15 to February 28.
- The first week of Spring Semester courses, February 22 to 28, will be offered on-line only.
RISD Housing site
- Single-occupancy rooms will house the majority of students. RISD has signed a master lease with the Edge College Hill apartments for 200 additional beds. Residential Life will manage the rooms in the same way as it does other residential facilities including the room assignments, Resident Assistants and programming.
- Bathroom fixtures will be shared by a maximum of four students in multi-person bathrooms.
- Some public lounges will be closed to discourage congregating and others will be converted to workrooms used by appointment.
- Student visitation will be limited to only 1 on campus student from other residence hall.
Dining on Campus
- One student at a time is allowed in a kitchen—first come, first served.
- All rooms will have a micro fridge available for students to store food.
- Items that must be shared must be disinfected before and after each use, including microwaves or dishwashers.
- Dining tables and chairs will not be provided in kitchens.
- Students should not congregate or host gatherings in the kitchen spaces.
- Only one student may be in the laundry rooms at a time. Only students placing loads into washers and dryers may be in the laundry rooms. While cycles are running, students should leave the space.
- Students should disinfect the machines before using.
- Students are required to immediately remove their laundry upon completion of the cycle, and are not to touch or remove personal belongings from machines that do not belong to them.
- Students can check the availability of machines, which are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Workrooms located in residence halls will have assigned times
and monitoring to prohibit congregating. To allow for more access, some public lounges will be converted to workrooms with scheduled appointment times.
Isolation and Quarantine Housing
Per guidelines established July 17, 2020 by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), 15 West is the only residence hall on campus with a high concentration of single-occupancy, single-bathroom housing units that meet the necessary air quality and circulation standards.
In the interest of community and individual health, we have also established the following protocols:
- Airflow systems on the 3rd and 4th floor are configured so that air in individual rooms lets out directly to a rooftop ventilation system, without any air recirculating into corridors.
- All designated isolation and quarantine residences include standalone HEPA filtration units.
- Students assigned to these rooms as well as essential staff will use the elevator closest to 15 West’s Fulton Street entrance to access only the 3rd and 4th floors. Access to other floors via this elevator has been disabled.
- Designated staff will greet quarantining students at the building’s Fulton Street entrance and escort them directly to their room via the dedicated elevator.
- Students in quarantine will not be allowed to leave their rooms until cleared by Student Health Services, in accordance with Rhode Island Department of Health guidelines.
- RISD will hire 1-2 certified nursing assistants (CNAs) to monitor, answer questions for and deliver food and other necessities to quarantining students.
Students will be permitted to return to their on-campus housing after they have met Rhode Island Department of Health guidelines for ending isolation or quarantine.
Student Health Services and Counseling and Psychological Services will check in with students in isolation and quarantine will ensure that students are getting what they need and following self-care guidelines.
Meals will be dropped off for students in isolation/quarantine. Individual meals will be prepared for lunch and dinner, with a continental breakfast provided with the dinner delivery. Our Dining staff will work with students on any dietary requirements.
Positive case protocol