Technology and Training
For Course DeliveryTo support online and hybrid courses, RISD is employing the following technologies (among others):
Audio and Video EquipmentAV equipment will be in select classrooms will enable the hybrid possibility where online and in-person students can participate simultaneously.
Learning Management System (LMS)Canvas will create a “one-stop” location for students to get essential course information and will offer a uniform and organized digital portal during fall and spring quarantine periods.
Laptop and Digital Equipment Loaner ProgramDetails forthcoming.
Online Fabrication AccessOnline access to file rendering capabilities, CNC output services and print/plot centers will be available to support and enhance in-person material engagements and fabrication activities.
For Other Campus ServicesTo support safe operations and service delivery, RISD is employing the following applications. Information about these applications will be rolled out as they become available.
Daily Health ScreeningAll community members who will be on campus at any point in time need to complete a self assessment form on the MyRISD app every day before leaving their residence. Based on their answers, the application will guide them to the appropriate course of action for the day.
Appointment/Line ManagementStudents can schedule appointments at key service points using the QLess app (download or access via the MyRISD app) including: Card Services, CSI, Mail Room, OISS, RISD Store, Student Affairs, the Met dining hall, Student Financial Services, and more. They’ll receive text updates on their status and can reschedule/adjust appointments.
Mobile Food OrderingStudents can order food online via mobile device or a web browser with Grubhub Campus (via the MyRISD app). Then pick up at Portfolio. Grubhub Campus is integrated with meal swipes, dining points and RISD Bucks.
Mobile PrintingStudents will be able to remotely submit and release print jobs while on campus through risdPRINTS.
Emergency and Safety ServicesThrough the LiveSafe app (download or access via the MyRISD app) community members can report suspicious activity, request emergency services, access RISD and local community resources and most importantly, receive emergency communications. Community members should add or verify their emergency contact information in WebAdvisor to receive emergency alerts.
Canvas (LMS)The adoption and phase-in of the college-wide Learning Management System (LMS) Canvas is an essential component of our student experience, especially given the increased use of digital tools during the upcoming year.
- Asynchronous modules can be hosted for hybrid courses and will create a “one-stop” location for course information during the first week of online coursework.
- Courses not currently supported by Digication will be migrated in part or whole to Canvas. Minimal migration will comprise syllabi, course schedules, course rosters, and first-week course materials.
- The college will augment Canvas to the degree possible with a diverse set of tools and practices as required by individual departments and programs.
- Canvas Basics I & II Training Workshops will be through the SEI Teaching and Learning Lab. One-on-one consultations and Divisional Pedagogical Innovation graduate student assistantships will be available to support the use of the new LMS.
- Resources and training materials through ITS. Contact email@example.com with questions or for assistance with problem-solving.
- RISD’s online teaching support team will offer workshops that address fundamental concepts in online pedagogy for faculty considering what tools and strategies they will need as they transition to hybrid and online teaching. Please visit Faculty Support for more information.