Employees and students must follow Rhode Island State Travel Guidelines for international and domestic travel.
RISD-sponsored travel includes all travel funded directly by RISD, and all travel affiliated with a RISD program even if funded by others. These policies are subject to change based on evolving, site-specific health-safety conditions domestically and globally.
- RISD-sponsored domestic travel is permitted. Course field trips are allowed, but all participants must continue to follow RISD protocol, including indoor mask wearing.
- RISD-sponsored international travel is not permitted and will be supported only in exceptional circumstances.
- Exceptions require advance approval by either the Provost or the SVP of Finance & Administration/Interim President.
Wintersession and Spring 2022
- RISD-sponsored domestic travel will be permitted, provided COVID transmission remains in decline or at a low steady rate.
- RISD-sponsored international travel will be permitted up to CDC COVID level three. RISD employees must check COVID-19 policies, vaccination levels and community spread levels for the intended destination prior to booking travel. RISD travelers should maintain awareness of their destination country's policies and spread levels prior to and during travel.
- Wintersession travel courses are canceled for AY 2021–22. In lieu of travel courses, RISD global may offer international online course alternatives.
- The European Honors Program (EHP) is suspended for Spring 2022, while RISD addresses and implements recommended improvements to the program. During the program’s operational pause, RISD plans to offer alternative opportunities through companion university art and design programs in Italy. Details forthcoming.
Concerned individuals should contact RISD's Risk Management office to review travel plans, risks and concerns.
© RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN